Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Naturally Clean Home

Hello friends!  I’m sorry to have missed several days of posting, but I was doing my homework.  “Homework?” you ask.  “Maybe you’re new to homeschooling.  The moms assign the homework, not complete it.”  I am new to homeschooling—this is our first year and it was kindergarten at that.  My homework was reading and evaluating three WeE-books as part of the application process for the new Homeschool Review Crew for The Old Schoolhouse magazine.  I’ll review each of these in its own post.

There are currently more than forty WeE-books available at the Schoolhouse store covering  animal studies, arithmetic, devotionals, transcripts, etc.  After scanning the titles and viewing the samples I chose to download A Naturally Clean Home and Baby, Easy Fundraisers for Homeschool Organizations, and Beating the Summertime Blues.  These titles were 16-19 pages in length, which I would assume is average for all the WeE-books.  The length is a little deceiving because they all included an identical, seven-page appendix on beginning homeschooling and other online TOS publications. 

A Naturally Clean Home and Baby is an extension of Lisa Barthuly’s article in the Fall 2008 edition of The Old Schoolhouse, in fact the cleaning formula I tried was listed in both.  I made the scrubbing cleanser and tried is out in our shower.  We are fortunate to have very little mineral build up in our water (our water heater is 24 years old and still going strong), so I was mostly dealing with shampoo and soap scum.  The cleaner was very effective and I didn’t have to worry about what was being washed down into the septic tank. 

Next I tried her natural weed killer on those pesky plants growing through the cracks in my driveway.  They started drooping but then two inches of rain fell and perked them back up.  Perhaps I’ll try again during a dry spell with more frequent applications.

 There is also a recipe for laundry detergent that I want to try as soon as I track down one of the ingredients.  It would have been helpful if the article explained what the ingredient was and where it could be found, but it was rather easy to Google it.

The second half of the WeE-book is devoted to items for the baby.  My baby is now six years old so I didn’t need to try any of these.  I did find a recipe for wipes similar to the one I used for two years with a lot of success.
 
2014 Update:  The WeE books are now part of the SchoolhouseTeachers.com program.  The longer your subscription, the more free WeE books you'll have access to.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...