Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Reuben Soup

I love Reuben sandwiches so when I saw this recipe in an old Taste of Home magazine I had to give it a try.  If you're not sure about the sauerkraut, trust me when I say the flavor doesn't overwhelm the dish.

Reuben Soup (1 1/2 quarts)

1/2 C               chopped onion
2 T                   butter
2 C                   hot water
1 t                    chicken broth base (I use Better than Bouillon brand)
1 t                    beef broth base
1/2 t                 baking soda
2 T                   cornstarch
2 T                   cold water
3/4 C               canned sauerkraut
2 C                   Half&Half cream or whole milk
2 C                   cooked & chopped corned beef
1 C                   shredded Swiss cheese

Before I started, I had cooked a corned beef in my pressure cooker for 10 minutes less then the recipe called for (to keep the meat firm in the soup) and chopped it into 1/2 inch cubes.



In a large saucepan, saute the onions in butter until tender.  Dissolve chicken and beef bases in hot water.  Combine cornstarch with cold water and shake or stir until a slurry is formed.  Add broth, baking soda and cornstarch slurry to saucepan.


  Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat.  Rinse and drain the sauerkraut, then add it, the cream or milk, and corned beef; simmer and stir for 15 minutes. 

Add Swiss cheese; heat until melted.  You may garnish with rye croutons if desired.

This soup is definitely hearty enough for a meal.  I wished it had more of the sauerkraut tang so I may try adding it at the end of cooking next time.


I'm linking up with Home to 4 Kiddos' Try a New Recipe Tuesday and Milk & Honey Mommy's Soup Swap.

1 comment:

Lisa Boyle said...

My husband loves reuben sandwiches. I am going to surprise him with this! :-) Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...