Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Gifts from the Kitchen

As part of our church's Advent Conspiracy [ Worship Fully, Spend Less, Give More, Love All], rather than purchase gifts for Toolman's co-workers & our neighbors, Schnickelfritz and I make something for them in our kitchen.    Our friends will still  know that we appreciate them, but the money we don't spend at the store can be sent to provide fresh water around the world.  In the past we've made banana bread, blueberry jam, persimmon bread, and cereal snack mix (we try not to repeat ourselves).  Several recipients have diabetes so the typical cookie tray is out.  This year we decided to make a Southwestern Dip Mix recipe that I found on the Taste of Home website.

All the ingredients were available in bulk at Sam's Club.


I used a seive to sift the cumin and chili powder so that no one ended up with a lump of spice.



After stirring everything together I divided the mix into equal portions and placed them in snack- size ziploc bags.  Next I needed to work on decorating the bag.  First I measured the width of the bag.


Looks like 7 in. will cover the top



Then I used my Graphic Toolbox software to make a label that will fold across the top of the bag.  One side will have our Christmas greeting and the other side will give instructions for using the dip mix.  Make sure that you flip one of the pictures/text over so it will look correct when you fold the label.


I printed the labels on card stock, cut them out and scored them with a bone folder.  When I held them over the ziplock bag I could feel the thickness of the seal to make sure a placed the staple outside the bag itself.
The Toolman will be taking this batch to work tomorrow.





7 comments:

Tess said...

Oh I love it! I also love the idea of home made gifts like this. We are doing some home made hot cocoa mix in a jar for a few friends and some scented sachets as well for more. But I love how professional the dip mix package looks. Great job!

Clarissa said...

great gift idea! I am not an avid (or confident) baker, so I would never give bakery... but this is something even I can do! :)

Jennifer said...

I'm impressed that you are still using Graphics Toolbox. That review was a bit over my head. We received a similar dip last year from a friend and the whole family enjoyed it. I'm going to check out that recipe now. thanks!

laughinglioness.lisa@gmail.com said...

What a delightful gift! I LOVE your labels ; ). I am your newest follower and fellow Crew member. A blessed Advent to you and yours!

A Dusty Frame said...

Good idea to sift the spices!
Lizzie TOS crew

The Freemans said...

Stopping by from the crew to say hi and follow!

Unknown said...

Very cool idea! Stopping by from the Review Crew.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...