Thursday, February 10, 2011

Best Persimmon Bread ever

Last week, in preparing for possibly losing our power, I wanted to make several loaves of quick bread we could eat for breakfast. I forgot to get bananas in my "bread, milk, eggs" grocery store run so I had seek an alternative. Fortunately I had a booklet called "Old Fashioned Persimmon Recipes" and a supply of frozen one cup portions of pulp. We have several neighbors on our road with persimmon trees. Funny thing, whenever I ask if I may harvest some they always respond "Take all you want." Their tone of voice implies that they see the trees more as a nuisance than a treasure trove (perhaps they ate an unripened one once).  I always give them a Thank You gift, but it's never a product made with the fruit of their trees. I'm afraid they would stop being so generous with their harvest. I find ripe persimmons have an almost citrus-y flavor, so this recipe combining them with orange juice works really well.

3 cups flour                                  1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar                               1/2 cup milk
1 Tbs. baking powder                  1 cup persimmon pulp
1 tsp. salt                                      1 Tbs. grated orange rind
1/4 tsp. baking soda                     2/3 cup orange juice
3 eggs                                           1/2  cup chopped nuts

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and soda. In separate bowl beat together eggs, butter, milk and pulp. Stir in orange rind and juice. Stir pulp mixture into flour until moistened. Fold in nuts. Pour into two greased loaf pans and bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until tests done.

I've substituted dried lemon peel for the orange rind and I'd say the nuts are optional. We don't usually drink orange juice, but I keep a can of frozen concentrate on hand and can scoop out small amounts for recipes like this.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...