Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving recipes

Wow, it's been a while since I posted.  I kept thinking I need to write something but then other things got in the way and I didn't come back to that thought until I was laying in bed.  But I'm here now and I want to mention a new recipe and a change to an old recipe that met with great success at the Thanksgiving table. 

First the old recipe--I shared it with you during the 5 Days of Preparing for the Holidays blog hop.   I had to make the Butternut Squash casserole dairy free for my aunt so I substituted margarine for the butter and apple cider for the milk.  I think I actually prefer it the new way.  So here is the updated recipe.

Butternut Squash Casserole (makes 2 qts)

Aprox. 3 lb butternut squash                                     3/4 C sugar     
3/4 C apple cider                                                      3 T flour
6 T melted margarine                                                1/2 t cinnamon
3 eggs, beaten                                                           1/8 t ground cloves
1/2 t vanilla extract                                                     1/8 t nutmeg

Topping (mix & freeze separately or make on serving day)

1/2 C crushed vanilla wafer cookies
1/4 C brown sugar
2 T melted margarine
 
Assembly Directions
Peel squash, remove seeds and cube.  Place squash in large sauce pan and cover with water.  Bring water to a boil, then lower temp, cover and cook 25-30 minutes.  Drain squash and place in mixing bowl.  Beat until smooth (for really smooth pulp use a food processor).  Add milk, butter, eggs and vanilla and mix well.  Combine sugar, flour, and spices and add to squash mixture.  Mix well and transfer to freezer container (you can use a gallon freezer bag).  If you make the topping today, mix wafers and brown sugar and put in a quart size freezer bag and attach to the squash bag.

Cooking directions
Thaw completely overnight.  Pour the squash into a greased 2 qt baking dish.  Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  Meanwhile melt 2 T of butter and combine with wafer crumbs and brown sugar. Remove the squash, sprinkle with topping.  Return to the oven and bake uncovered for 12-15 minutes.


 
Now to the new recipe--The man who made us petition to take the very filthy couch off his hands must have felt a little guilty because he also gave my husband a free smoker/roaster oven.  I've been dying to try and smoke a turkey and now I had my chance.
 
I used this Turkey in a Smoker recipe with a 12 pound bird.  Because I have such a large extended family, I also made a traditionally roasted turkey and conducted an informal taste test.  The smoked turked won hands down.  It was so much easier to prepare--I didn't have to brine it the night before, it was much easier to debone, the pan juices made an excellent gravy and I didn't even add salt.  This is the way to go.
 

1 comment:

Leah Courtney said...

Hi, I'm stopping by from the Review Crew to make sure that I follow your blog. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...